The Three Warrior's Guide To...How Long A Fake Tan Lasts
Going on vacay to the Greek Islands and want to know if you can milk that tan from touchdown to take-off? We hear you.
When it comes to the longevity of fake tan, you want a product you know is worth the time spent scrubbing, applying, and baking.
You also want to know that as it begins to fade, you won’t end up looking like a leopard with spotty patches across your body.
This is where quality counts when it comes to fake tan. By choosing a product that uses only the most natural, high quality ingredients and offers a deep, long lasting colour, you can ensure you’ll be on your A-game for as long as that holiday lasts.
Which brings us back to the question — how long does a fake tan last?
In this guide, we'll explore the lifespan of a fake tan, how to maintain it, and tips to prevent it from rubbing off.
Here, we’ll help you make the most of your sunless tan and keep your skin glowing for as long as possible.
The Lifespan of a Fake Tan: Factors That Influence Duration
Generally, a fake tan can last between 5 and 10 days, but this can vary a lot based on a few different factors, including:
- The quality of the tanning product: High-quality, organic tanning products often last longer and fade more evenly.
- Your skin type: Drier skin tends to absorb more of the tanning product but also tends to shed cells faster, which can reduce the lifespan of your tan.
- Your preparation and aftercare: We know you’re sick of us saying it, but properly exfoliating your skin before applying the tan and moisturising regularly after application will extend the lifespan of your tan. It’s just the facts!
Avoiding the Fade: How to Keep Spray Tan from Rubbing Off
We all know how frustrating it is to have our fake tan rub off onto our clothes or bedding (especially those whites!).
To prevent your tan from rubbing off on your clothes or bedding, wear loose, dark clothing after your tanning session and try to avoid sweating or coming into contact with water for the first few hours (no crying, and avoid the rain at all costs).
Stay completely dry right up until your post-tan shower for the best results.
Maintaining Your Golden Glow: How to Make Your Spray Tan Last Longer
"Why does my fake tan only last 2 days?" you ask, looking down at your faded glow.
This is a common concern that usually arises because you haven’t exfoliated properly pre-tan or moisturised enough post-tan. It may also happen if you’re using harsh soaps that strip the tan off your skin.
So, to avoid a tan that fades quicker than you can say, "Let’s take a picture together’, be sure to:
- Exfoliate your skin before applying the tan to remove dead skin cells and ensure a smooth canvas for the tanning product.
- Moisturise daily to hydrate your skin and prevent it from shedding too quickly, which can cause the tan to fade.
- Avoid long hot baths and showers, as these can speed up the skin's natural exfoliation process.
- Stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet. Well-nourished skin holds onto a tan longer.
- Use a tan extender. Just use a gradual tan a little each day to continue to build on your colour.
How Long Does a Fake Tan Last | Making the Most of Your Sunless Glow
Fake tan is a magical little product; it allows you to get that golden glow sans the sun damage.
With the right care, your tan can last longer and fade more evenly, leaving you with natural-looking, bronzed skin.